Amazon secures business and personal information with back-ups for its back-ups. Our May 4th "Cloud and Cyber Security" Seminar's guest speaker Ricky Hill shared 5 tips for protecting your own personal data:
- Change your email password every 30 to 60 days. Unauthorized access to your email provides the recovery portal to reset most of your other accounts with new passwords.
- Protect your personal information with your own personal VPN. A VPN thwarts interception of your information in-transit over the Internet and provides a heightened level of financial and personal protection.
- Prevent the theft of financial data by never using banking or financial apps over a portable device such as a cellphone. Use a laptop with a wired home connection for banking transactions.
- Stop information hijacking by minimizing the usage of public wi-fi.Unsecured wi-fi allows an adversary easy access to your information.
- Back up your photos and information to the cloud at least once a month to prevent irretrievable loss. Various cellphone and internet providers provide free or low cost assistance.
Thursday, June 1st - Noon to 1:00 pm
Lunch & Learn Seminar - UL (Underwriters Laboratories)
Insurance Council - Current Issues
UL's Director of Business Development Neil Lakomiak
GEICO, 5260 Western Avenue, Chevy Chase, MD 20815
(Free to members)
Saturday, July 15th - 10:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Family Fun Day at the Lake with Boating
Location: Lake Anna State Park - Shelter 1
Parking Fee: $7. Fee will be reimbursed the same day.
Food: grilled hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken, potato salad, baked beans, chips, watermelon, sodas and water
Guests: Paid members and their immediate family members
Lake Attire: swim suits, swim trunks, hats, cover ups, sneakers, sandals, flip flops
Beach: towels, sunscreen
(Free to members & immediate family members)
Thursday, August 10th - Noon to 1:00 p.m.
Lunch & Learn Seminar - Neuroscience Approach to Building a Successful Mindset
Umar Hameed - Performance Coach for Leaders & Salespeople
GEICO, 5260 Western Avenue, Chevy Chase MD 20815
(Free to members)
Congratulations - Gold Level Circle of Excellence
On April 4, 2017, our DC CPCU Society Chapter qualified for the Gold level of the Society's 2016 Circle of Excellence Recognition Program. The program recognizes chapters for their efforts to achieve specific benchmarks in chapter performance. The CPCU Society chapters become part of the "Circle of Excellence" by completing activities that support the Society's strategic plan, further chapter goals, and help to ensure members' success. The DC Chapter was recognized during the CPCU Annual Leadership Summit, April 20-22, 2017, in Baltimore, MD. Members of the DC CPCU Society Chapter are involved in a number of educational, charitable, and volunteer events throughout the year.
About the CPCU Society: The CPCU Society is a community of credentialed insurance professionals who promote excellence through ethical behavior and continuing education. The Society's more than 24,000 members hold the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU®) designation, which requires passing eight rigorous undergraduate- and graduate- level examinations, meeting experience requirements, and agreeing to be bound by a strict code of professional ethics. More information about the CPCU Society is available at www.cpcusociety.org or visit us at www.dc.cpcusociety.org.